Friday, September 6, 2013

The Joys of Editing?

Ah, the joys of editing. Not.
Why is it that a writer can read and read his/her own words and not catch mistakes? We know what we 'thought' we said. Those of us who write all the time know the truth of this, but that doesn't make it any less embarrassing.

This week, I've been preparing the manuscript of Naked Ladies - Seasons of the Heart for publication on Amazon through their CreateSpace program, which means it will be available on Kindle, the one ebook format not available through Smashwords. That means I've reformatted and gone over that manuscript again with a fine tooth comb.(It also means you can buy a soft-cover physical book on Amazon!)

Argh! The embarrassment of finding words like 'pubic' when I meant to say 'public,'  and extra word repeats because of a correction made earlier. I find myself second guessing myself and wondering, did I send them the wrong file? Did I really NOT see that error?

Lesson learned, that no matter how much you think you know your manuscript, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have someone else read it/proof it for you.

That said, I will resubmit the Smashwords manuscript today with corrections made, and for those of you who read on Kindles, or buy books through Amazon, Naked Ladies should be available as soon as this weekend, and certainly by Monday. I'll be going through that same process with Beneath a Wild Sky next week.

Thanks for visiting. Comments always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment